Build a Portfolio
By Kent Thune, About.com Guide
Introduction to Building Your Portfolio
The process of building a portfolio is like the process of building a house: Before laying the foundation and building upon it, you must begin with a smart design that works for you and your personal needs.
- How to Build a Portfolio of Mutual Funds
- Know Your Risk Tolerance
- Determine Your Asset Allocation
- Use a 'Core and Satellite' Portfolio Design
Choosing Mutual Funds
After planning the structure of your mutual funds portfolio, you are ready to begin researching and choosing mutual funds to begin the building.
- Review the 5 Things to Know About Mutual Funds
- Know the Basics on Mutual Fund Categories and Types
- Learn How to Choose the Best Funds
- Consider Using Index Funds
- Use One of the Best S&P 500 Index Funds
Mutual Fund Portfolio Examples
Once you've created the design and you've researched the funds, look at some examples of mutual fund portfolios. Here are three basic samples of mutual fund portfolio designs.